Tuesday 4 January 2011

Most Creative People in the Business Industry

There is a New York based magazine call fastcompany that showcases the top 100 most creative person around the globe and it all consist of people from Apples, Microsoft, Nissan just to name a few. I followed the site for just a couple of years but there are no more then 3 Architects in a year. I am not sure if that is a bad thing or a good thing, but the standard has been put down and 3 is the minimum for our profession. In 2009, we had Thom Mayne [15], Norman Foster [38] and Zaha Hadid [68] taking the 3 spots in the top 100. In 2010, we have Jean Nouvel [19], and my new-one-of-my-favourite-architect Bjarke Ingels [64] and Kazuyo Sejima [88]. The reason I like Bjarke Ingels work is because it has a similar ambience to Vincent Callebaut, daring, playful and futuristic. These are the things that makes me want to push towards a new design approach, dynamic fantasy architecture, realistic or not, it really depends. I am going to post and share some of my favourite works from the candidate of 2010.

Jean Nouvel [19]


I love this building, this is the design that got me into thinking about fantasy architecture. The huge roof looks like a huge bubble hovering a city, protecting the people inside it, and the way the sunlight is being cleverly taken into cosideration gives me the sense of calmness.

Bjarke Ingels [64]


I checked on Archdaily everyday and because the site constantly updates itself, it is easy to overlook the architects, engineer and place of build. I did not realised I had a few of Bjarke Ingels's work kept in my folder, making him now one of favourite younger gens architects. He has a certain way of coming about his design concept but seems to be simple yet very effective, but I believe simple is the most difficult thing to master.

Kazuyo Sejima [88]


Kazuyo has a finer, detailed approach to design, a method I tried but seems to sway towards big and bold all the time. This is not my style but her beautiful delicate approach is something I can try and learn, earning herself the 2010 Pritzker Prize beating Ito and Holl.

Fav archs: WOHA, Bjarke Ingels, Vincent Callebaut

2 comments:

Will Peartin said...

The first set of photos was absolutely inspirational. And it is true that the way the sunlight penetrates the roof through its sophisticated design gave an element of calmness to the place. This Abu Dhabi branch of the Louvre museum is a contemporary masterpiece just waiting to happen!Will Peartin

Kermit Lukacs said...

Architecture is termed a branch of art and this just proves that making a roof into a walkway is very creative and somewhat futuristic idea. This just reminds me of the “Little House Books” written by Laura Ingalls Wilder. They used to live under a bridge that was turned into a homestead. Their roof was actually a bridge, and I always wanted to live like that. Well, who knows right? Maybe someday I can have my home designed just like one of these design concepts.

Kermit Lukacs