Sunday 2 January 2011

Jardins Jardin Competition 2011

A new start to the new year and I will start it with a competition entry for the Jardins Jardin Competition this year. That is right, I am joining again this year because I already had a design concept drawn and sketched in my little sketchbook when I had the exhibition in Paris last summer. I just had to put it on as an entry knowing I did try, instead of guessing the possible outcome in the future. It also just provides me with another reason to visit Paris, as my brother has not been there yet.

This year, there is no regulations about size restriction. My idea is to change the way how brick restoration is done, not exactly changing the way it is restored per se, but to change the product itself to create something new. The brick is custom made with a gap that is layered with a water resistant membrane and is capable of holding a rag bag for soil to grow small plants. There are two holes to help with any water overflow. It is a very simple idea to help beautify and brighten up a facade along the rundown alleyways in downtown, but can also be applied to any parts of the city.

That is method 1, which is restoration and method 2 can be used as a vertical garden. The product can be applied to both in cities and houses/gardens. It sits on a Rack Stack Pod made out of steel to support the accumulative weight of bricks. It can be altered to any style orientations depending on the client's needs. The brick is designed to utilies the 'Stem Extension' to promote and help plants like ivy, orchids etc to grow. All materials are very sturdy and can be cleaned and replace easily.

[The flowers on the wall is not clear for some reason]

These were drawn and modeled in just 2 days and being sick is not really helping. As usual, the confidence rate is pretty much really low. I am even doubting my design work for the KKIP gate entrance statement. Love it at first, and started to doubt it for some reason. Questions like, will the design work? Will people like it? I think I am putting myself too much pressure, but thats the fun of it I guess.

No comments: