Thursday 27 January 2011

A Different View, Radical [-] or [+]

I recently received a forwarded email from my dad and it was one of those pictures from Dubai about its construction and new develpment. I would normally see and ignore a few seconds after that, but for some reason I started thinking about the design considerations that were put into the design for such project. They were never practical to start with and it was only for 'iconic' view purposes without any true consideration for the site. Alot of designers, like me would obviously love if there is the opportunity to redesign the whole city like my hometon, making it more sustainable and is a reflection of the environment. Maybe Dubai is an opportunity to create the perfect city with such a huge canvas but it would definitely has it downfalls with such a rapid development. China is somewhat the new Dubai, but maybe they have the human capacity to fill the new development space void.






This is a view from the top of Burj Dubai. The first picture seems to be fake but I am sure the second one is true, able to see the curvature of the Earth. I tried uploading more pictures of the reclaim man made island in Dubai but I cant for some particular reason, however, have a look at this site. It was done not long ago but it has already started sinking, it might happen with the houses show above.

http://inhabitat.com/dubais-world-of-islands-is-sinking-into-the-sea/

No comments: