Sunday 16 January 2011

Improving Along the Way: Examples of Work

I was talking to a friend about competitions and I cant help reminding myself the first competition I ever tried and the thought of it makes me cringe. I cant believe my design and presentation capabilities at that time was so low. I may not have the time to fully utilise my time for the competition, but its a far cry to what I was producing for the firm I was working for during my year out. It is something that I would never ever had to look at again but I just cant help it, browsing through my competition folder while waiting for my City of Dreams Pavilion to load the intersections. It was the year 2008 and I was given a website that updates itself with architecture competition daily, not sure why I pick this competition in particular.

The first thing that came into mind is what is with the swaying circles? It does not make any sense and the presentation as a whole is abysmal. These drawings below are just some of the work I was producing for my previous firm. My year out was really important to me, cause it certainly has widen up my perspective viewpoint about architecture.



My final design thesis perspective (below) definitely gives me the confidence, knowing that I did improve within the past 3 years. I am in the process of redesigning a new Performing Centre in my head to try and use simple design processes, seeking influence from Mr. Ingels to achieve the final product.



Finally, this last picture is my experimental approach towads the entrance design statement for my freelance job. Like I said, I have 6 and this is the 6th design concept which are under consideration. The others are not as radical and I am still advised not too upload the work. I was willing to upload this one cause its very experimental, and feedbacks are really needed just to know what others think about it, but honestly speaking, its huge, bold and radical, and I actually love it. It is inspired by the terrain that surounds us in Sabah, and with a hint of fantasy, it will be floating with rays of lights piercing through the gaps. It is a space that gathers attention for incoming drivers from afar.

No comments: