Monday 29 August 2011

Simple is always the Better way

This is just a self preference, although complex structure like Zaha's can be mind boggling but that is not for everyone, most of us do not have the support from client to create something as daring. Even if you do have the support, challenging yourself to design something extraordinary with cheap materials that is simple is harder than it sounds. I am designing my 6 HDB blocks project's mail box and all I can play with is colours, but with some concrete to my disposal. I need to come up with a design that will convinced the main con to willingly do during the construction, without them just constructing based on the standard 2000x1650x500mm box. Why am I just designing a mail box? The main building has been finalised and currently we are just dealing with managing the Show Flat and submission drawings. I am trying to learn to incorporate the main design idea into a small scale feature, to allow the idea to flow around the site and tie the project together as a whole.

I am starting to understand why architects in past design their own door handles for the building, the doors etc. I have always thought facade is everything when I as younger, but that is just to naive. I am in a middle of my project where construction will start in a few months time, and we are suppose to select ironmongery for the building, and I feel those old gen architects had such a nice time designing their own doors or handle, as I am bound to a series of suppliers that is being proposed by the main con. Here are just some projects I came across which looks pretty nice in a very simple manner, playing with lights, materiality and transparency, which is something I am trying to learn when I get my own project in a few months time, hopefully shorter, I cant wait.





No comments: