Tuesday 9 August 2011

Duxton, I'm slightly disappointed.

I had an hour visit to Duxton Pinnacle to get some inspiration for detail design that could be used for my current project. I had alot of high expectation on the building, knowing it won 'Building of the Year' and its in the same building category as my project, Design, Build and Sales Scheme, DBSS in short. It also happen by chance that the main contractor for this project would be our main contractor as well, so I had the chance to look at the workmanship the main cons can provide. To say the least, I was quite disappointed when I was there, and I was not even half way around the site. I didnt have the chance to walk around its roof garden as yet.
Duxton is also categorized as a special project, unlike my project, it is very restricted, as the design is govern by rules and regulations, however Duxton, the way I understood can be swayed a bit, by how much, I do not know. This bulky concrete parapets is nothing more then just money going to waste, and its not even smooth. -1 to the main con.This design for a little green roof really does not reflect on the project itself. With the disappointing handrail, it is as if it is an after thought design, or done by a junior who was rush for submission.Just beside to the walkway, all I had to do is look up and I came across another design problem. Somewhere in the upper half, middle section, you can actually see a ledge for sun shade for the window, that was build just under another protruding window. The problem is self explanatory, they could save money on it.Simple is always the best way if you cant come up with anything good.Probably the only thing that excite me was the sitting area, but it looks expensive, due to the amount of steel used in such a small area, and they have loads of this lying around. I just like the how the timber and steel are repeated vertically and horizontally.Duxton maybe a special project but it cant run away from all rules and regulations. Take a look at the picture above, right side where the AC ledge is, it would normally be a normal concrete floor slab but for this, it has gaps in it. My assumption is, the project's GFA has burst and they were required to cut down the amount that has burst. GFA means the area that is provided to build your building, and that does not mean just on ground floor [its 1st storey in Singapore], it applies to every floor you desgn and build. The site itself, you are only allowed 40% of site coverage, everything else has to be green, or something else, hence most of them goes upwards.Long ramp, disables in whellchairs BEWARE!Seriously, who uses that type of railing in a maintenance area, and because of that compromises every ugly AC railing for all units?
Suprisingly, for such a grand project, they do not have a proper drop off area. When I ask where the drop off area is, I was pointed to this place, and it is actually just beside the carpark. I know, WTH. Ill try to go to the top when I can and will post more pictures of it.

No comments: