Wednesday 18 November 2009

Concept and Structural Study Models

Initally, the materials that I was going to use were timber and steel, to combine both to create a harmonious yet an alienated building to the site. As I went through more research, it was apparent that a change in materials is needed, hence after a long thought, I am using bamboo as primary and rattan as a secondary materials. It is light, flexible and it is a sustainable material, boast to be as strong as steel, yet capable of disintegrating itself. It grows faster and alot in quantity in comparison to timber. After treatment, it can last for 20 years, a very respectable limit. Here are some pictures of a couple structural studies on bamboo construction, inspired by Vo Nga Trong Architects. While doing this model, I took abit of time to create my initial concept idea in model form.

My Concept Model: Inspired by Rafflesia
Structural Study 1: Dessert Bamboo Dome
Structural Study 2: Bamboo Wings, Vietnam
Structural Study 3: wNw Cafe, Vietnam

No comments: