Tuesday 3 January 2012

A fresh start to the year

A new year, a new start, hence the brighter and simpler set up, hoping for a great year ahead.

It has been quite a while since my last post, and many things did happen along the way. Time has been great and tough, but we all know its pretty much the norm to have it this way. My project is finally coming to an end, not exactly yet, but the transfer of responsibilities towards a project manager will be done when construction starts after Chinese New Year. I on the other hand, was also given the opportunity to do a few feasibility study which I was craving for months since I started as it involves a lot of design work, and damn, it was really time consuming and can be frustrating due to the fact that you might not get it. There were 2 feasi study which I did that had residential units on the top with commercial lots on the lower floors, while the 3rd was a hotel study. Unfortunately the clients has yet to reply on the calculations we made for them on all 3 projects. I am also currently doing a freelance design feasi for landed properties back at home, which I hope the developer will get.

Enough with the work talk, its at that time of the year where you would come up with a new year resolution. We all long to do better in life and to achieve something memorable. My new year resolution is to do something out of my comfort zone twice a month, so I wont have a boring life. To force start my resolution, I have sign up for a language class which will start soon and I have also bought two big painting canvas to draw and paint and will try to sell it LOL, truly inspired by the art gallery at the Marina Bay Sand shopping mall. I dont think I have the necessary skills yet but will definitely improve whenever I can.

Bumped into this article today and boy oh boy, it is not something we designers would like to see. Architecture graduates has the lower unemployment rate? Seriously? But obviously it is only a study that is applied to America, not sure how true the saying goes for other areas. I know UK had a pretty hard time when building development come to a temporary stall due to the cuts last year, hence moving on was my only option. Not sure about now, but projects are booming here in Asia, legally and illegally.

http://www.archdaily.com/197351/study-shows-architecture-graduates-with-highest-unemployment-rate/

The year ended quite pleasantly and here are just some photos my bro took while we where strolling around Marina Bay Sand the day before the new year celebration was held. There were a few rehearsals going on but the most interesting feature was the video show where water sprays were used as the background instead of a canvas. Please refer to the photos below for a better understanding.










 Here is a even better explanation on the water spray, a video of the 'thingy' itself.

I uploaded the wrong video, no wonder it was so quick lol. Will reuploaded the proper video tonight.

 

No comments: